Epidural anesthesia allows mothers to have a painless delivery the natural way. It is the most popular method of pain relief during labor that is why we are encouraging mothers to opt for natural childbirth which can be almost painless in today’s practice.
Pregnancy is a dream come true of all couples. The first time mothers are filled with apprehension and innumerable questions. They get their queries solved by consulting their elders and peers and now newsgroups. They develop misconceptions and fears regarding pregnancy and labor.
The perception of pain during labor and delivery varies between individuals. Specially, the first-time mothers need a proper antenatal counselling regarding good nutritious diet, antenatal exercises and physiology of labor pains.
Epidural anaesthesia is an advance in pain management during labor, which ensures that a pregnant woman has a comfortable labor. It is a regional anaesthesia in which an anaesthetic drug is injected in the spinal canal by anaesthetist.
- Almost complete relief from pain with the patient being mobile
- No postpartum headache as in spinal anaesthesia
- Mother is conscious and alert throughout the labor
- An instrumental delivery can be performed under the same anaesthesia, if need arises
- If the patient has to be taken for caesarean section, the effect can be topped up through the epidural catheter.